Read about our 7 wedding ideas to create a magical wedding despite unexpected rain on your big day! Our tips include how to maintain your bride style while adapting to the weather to keep your guests happy and dry.
It’s the final days leading up to your wedding and the forecast is nothing but rain – we’ve got you covered, literally! Follow our 7 rainy wedding ideas to make the most and BEST out of the stormy weather! We know you were hoping for clear skies and sunshine but uncooperative weather does not have ruin your day, all you need a stellar game plan that embraces the rain – what’s that quote about lemonade? Make yourself some lemonade!
Check the forecast frequently during the week of the wedding so that you’re ready for anything! When you finally make the decision to go with PLAN B officially, know that there are many creative ways to use inclement weather to your advantage. In fact, we would even say, to make your wedding day even more spectacular!
As John Lennon said, “Life happens when you’re making plans,” so don’t let the rain ruin your big day! Below you’ll find tips and creative ideas to take care of your guests, whip up specialty storm cocktails, and bring the beauty of the outdoors, inside, all while maintaining your wedding vision and style!
1. Incorporate Natural Elements Indoors!
Photo: Junebug Wedding
When planning an outdoor wedding during rainy season, it’s always a good idea to have a plan B mapped out. But moving your outdoor vision, indoors, doesn’t mean you have to lose your vision completely. Wedding planner, Heather Lowenthal, says, “I always tell brides that when you choose a venue and want to have elements of your wedding outside, make sure you see and love your backup space just in case.”- Brides.com
Follow these wedding ideas on how to create your outdoor vision inside:
- Back Up Venue: Choose an indoor back up venue that has a lot of natural light and high ceilings. A barn with large doors or an event space with tall windows can create offers beautiful natural lighting.
- Incorporate Nature: Plan to purchase extra flowers and small trees to create an indoor arbor for a gorgeous ceremony with a touch of nature.
- Don’t Lose Your Vision: If possible use the create the same seating and flower arrangements indoors so that you don’t have to give up your outdoor vision!
- Communicate: The key to success is communication. Without proper communication between the wedding party, the bride and groom and most importantly, the venue – there may be unnecessary confusion. Be sure to share the backup plan with your venue, wedding coordinator and/or planner, wedding vendors and the entire wedding party so that everyone is prepared
- Centerpiece Ideas: Your unexpected indoor wedding can still incorporate great centerpieces to save your individual bride style. Check out these blogs for centerpiece inspiration:
2. Take Gorgeous Photos In The Rain
Photo: Let’s Get Weddy
Cloudy skies are actually a photographer’s best friend! Unexpected weather can create the perfect atmosphere for romantic wedding photos. The rain especially, can create the perfect setting for unforgettable wedding day photos! As photographer Sam Abell says, “Bad weather makes good pictures.” – Bridal Guide
Wedding photographer, Tony Hoffer, advises brides, “If you’re trying to take photos in the rain while keeping your dress dry, you might as well forget it. The reality is that if you’re going to get cool photos in the rain, you’re going to get a bit wet.” – Bridal Guide
Our favorite ways to use rain to create gorgeous photos:
- Use puddles to create reflections
- Capture the rain falling romantically around the gorgeous couple
- Dress the wedding party in colorful rain gear (rain boots, umbrellas, etc..) and don’t be surprised if you call more in love with these photos than you ever thought possible!
- Don’t be afraid to get wet!
3. Create Stormy Cocktails for Guests to Enjoy
Photo: New Zealand Weddings
Embrace the rain by including a selection of weather themed cocktails! Some of our favorites include the Dark ‘N’ Stormy, Hurricanes, or a Mudslide Milkshake! Seize the opportunity to have fun with your weather! By switching out your signature mojito for a Dark ‘N’ Stormy your guests will appreciate your humor and have just as much fun, if not more!
Ingredients to keep in your back pocket for Plan B:
Dark ‘N’ Stormy:
- Dark Rum
- Ginger Beer
- Lime Wedges (to garnish)
- Try this recipe, by The Serious Eats Team
- Light and Dark Rum
- Lemon Juice
- Over Proofed Rum
- Passion Fruit Syrup
- Try this recipe, by Mix That Drink
- Baileys Irish Cream
- Milk or Cream
- Try this recipe, by Tipsy Bartender
4. Prepare a Bridal Emergency Kit
Photo: Gourmet Wedding Gifts
This tip is actually a good one no matter how perfect your weather. The Bridal Emergency Kit is any bride’s must have for her big day! Store your essentials in a super cute “The Bride” accessories clutch and “The Bride” Tote Bag and you’ll have everything you need to touch up your make-up, keep your breath fresh, and when you’re feeling overwhelmed.. some liquid courage!
What to include in your Bridal Emergency Kit:
- Hair spray: to protect your hairstyle from the wind and rain.
- Setting spray: to prevent your makeup from coming melting off.
- Blotting papers: to keep your face looking fresh and dry.
- Makeup kit: to touch up between the ceremony and reception.
- Makeup remover: to resolve any smudging quickly.
- Fashion tape: to prevent your dress from slipping.
- Hair ties: for when the hairstyle is no longer salvageable and an updo is the only fix.
- Tissues: always good to have on hand on this special day!
- Alcohol: Whether you’re feeling stressed or extremely happy … it’s good to have some backup booze.
- Check out this Custom Engraved Bridal Flask!
5. Stock Up On Clear Umbrellas
Photo: Be Chic
Better to be over-prepared! Make sure you, your wedding party and the guests stay comfortable and dry by have clear umbrellas on hand – our favorite choice!
Why we love clear umbrellas:
- They allow the natural light to shine through without any of the rain.
- They won’t ruin the aesthetic of your wedding photos (especially great for wedding party and family photos)
- Clear umbrellas prevent your guests from having a completely blocked view
- They allow light to bounce off of them which can creates a great photo opportunity for your photographer to capture
For even MORE rainy day wedding ideas and inspiration check out our Rainy Wedding Inspiration Pinterest Board!
6. Wait Out the Rain With Early Cocktail Hour
Photo: The Wine Chapter
If the forecast looks like there might be a break in the rain – use your wedding day schedule to your advantage! Push the cocktail hour up and before the ceremony to entertain your guests while you wait for your weather window to open up.
While your guests enjoy cocktail hour, take this opportunity to grab your photographer and take some shots inside. Wedding planner Heather Lowenthal suggests, “Sometimes indoor shots can be super interesting. If it was all sunshine outside you might not get those less expected shots. Find areas with pretty floor to ceiling windows that would make for nice photos even with the rain in the background.” – Brides.com
7. Warn Your Guests About Impending Weather
Photo: Weddingstar Blog
Make sure your guests know what to expect so they can dress accordingly. If the weather doesn’t look good the week of the wedding, send out an email to all of your guests to inform them about any logistical changes and suggest bringing additional items or articles of clothing.
Don’t let the weather get you down! Follow our 7 wedding ideas above to rain-proof your wedding day and turn it from potential disaster into delight! Some say that rain on your wedding day is a sign of good luck – we think it’s an opportunity to get creative in unexpected ways. Don’t be surprised if you enjoy these twists and turns even MORE than expected and than you would have had everything gone according to “plan.”
Have any other MUST KNOW rainy day wedding ideas?
Comment below any rainy day wedding mishaps and how you made the most of your stormy wedding. Any rainy wedding ideas we may have left out? Let us know in the comments below!
Share your love story with us!
Have a proposal story you just CAN’T stop talking about? Share your love story with us! Leave a comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured in our #gourmetlovestory editorial series.