One of the biggest and most tastiest trends popping up at weddings: The wedding donut wall! Yes, donuts!
A donut wall is an easy and cute way to wow your guests.“The best part is, donut walls are adaptable for any style of wedding. For example, “they can be super romantic. But they would fit right in at a barn wedding too,” says Good Housekeeping.
Photo: BRIT & CO
We love this trend for the obvious reasons (YUM!) but also because they double as both an affordable dessert display and as insta-worthy decor. “Curate the colors for your event, and then visit your local bakery or donut shop to request a mix of colored frostings, sprinkles, and glazes to fit your theme. Whether you choose pinks, brown or white frosting, cheerful sprinkles, striped and swirled patterns, or a brighter color combination, “there are a million different ways to blow your guests away with this insanely cool dessert craze,” says My Wedding Reception Ideas.
Read on to learn how to incorporate your very own delicious wedding donut wall.
Insta worthy donut wall decor:
A donut wall presents a great photo opportunity. A donut wall acts as a perfect insta-worthy backdrop. Don’t be surprised if your guests are posting selfies of themselves with your work of donut art!
A donut wall is also the perfect place for a pun! Who doesn’t love a good pun? Add a sign that reads “donut you want one?” (below) or “donut leave me hanging!”Add lettering that says “donut know what I would do without you!” for a very romantic vibe. The possibilities are endless!
Photo: Good House Keeping
Incorporate neutral colors:
If you read our previous wedding trend guide on incorporating neutral colors at your wedding – we mentioned how a donut wall can help! Try spray painting the metal pegboard with a neutral colors. Or try choosing donuts with neutral colored frosting, as shown below.
Photo: Good House Keeping
Choosing your donut flavors:
All it takes to create your DIY donut wall is a few materials, some simple math and measuring, creativity, and a sweet tooth! Our favorite part of the process is choosing the donuts. When picking your donuts, consider a variety of colors and designs. Make sure to include a variety of flavors to match the wide variety of guest preferences as well. Quick tip: if you’re including many flavors, make sure to include signs with descriptions flavors so guests know what they’re picking up.
While you may think picking your donuts is the easiest part, it can actually be much more difficult than you think. Don’t leave this detail for the last minute!
Some key things to keep in mind when choosing your donuts:
- Avoid nuts: Nut allergies are very prevalent. Avoiding nuts in most circumstances is in everyone’s best interest!
- Avoid donuts with fillings: They are too messy and will create a sticky situation for the wall and for your guests. If you do want to include cream filled options, place them on the table next to the wall instead.
- Keep your color scheme in mind: Donuts are a really easy way to add colors as mentioned before. (Keep the neutral color trend in mind as well! It is SUPER popular. This is the perfect place to put these two trends into one. Wow your guests with just how trendy you are!)
- Consider the season: There are so many great seasonal donuts to include. For example, if you’re getting married in the fall hang some spiced chai or pumpkin donuts.
- Keep donut size in mind: Choose donuts that are all similar in size to give your donut wall the most aesthetically pleasing look.
Choose quality donuts: Here’s a great resource to find the best places to get donuts in your state!
Create your own DIY Donut Wall:
- A pegboard (cut down to the appropriate size)
- Metal pegboard hooks
- Spray paint
- Before you begin this project, place a drop cloth down to protect the surface you’re working on from any scratches that the metal pegboard and hooks might cause
- Start by spray painting your pegboard with your desired color. Don’t forget to match the theme or color palette of your wedding.
- After the spray paint has dried, place the pegboard hooks into the pegboard. Make sure the hooks are evenly spaced out so it looks organized.
- Measure the donuts before placing the hooks on the pegboard, so you can plan the appropriate distance between donuts.
- Once the hooks are on and you’re ready to create your display, hang the donuts onto the hooks in any pattern you like. Pay attention to donut colors and decorations.
- Add signs to your pegboard or on a table below it that let your guests know which donut flavors are where.
- Don’t forget to include napkins or mini plates for guests to put their donuts on as they grab and go. Watch the full DIY below to create your own amazing donut wall!
Option: Using shelves instead of a pegboard
If you’re not really a fan of the metal pegboard look or don’t have time to spray paint, try donut shelves instead. “Be sure to include pretty menu signs, like these calligraphed banners (shown below) describing the different flavors,” says brides wedding blog.
Not sure what that means? It’s exactly what it sounds like. Line a few shelves on top of each other and fill each shelf with donuts for a very elegant look. A donut shelf is just as intsa-worthy as a donut wall! See examples below:
A donut wall is simple, affordable and an extremely unique way to create an unforgettable dessert “table” at your wedding. They are fun to make, look at, and eat! If you do decide to give it a try, remember to have FUN with it – there is no right or wrong way to make a donut wall – just follow some of the simple suggestions above to help you out along the way.
For more inspiration, check out our Wedding Donut Walls pinterest board
Have you considered creating a donut wall?
If you’re planning on having a donut wall at your wedding or have attended a wedding with an eye catching wall, let us know with a comment below!
Share your love story with us!
Have a proposal story you just CAN’T stop talking about? Share your love story with us! Leave a comment below or email email@example.com for a chance to be featured in our #gourmetlovestory editorial series.