Boho brides break free from wedding traditions and celebrate love in a simple, yet beautiful, way.
“Bohemian,” defined as having unconventional and informal social habits, makes boho brides both unique and nontraditional. Bohemian weddings incorporate natural elements from the earth throughout – in the wedding decor, bridal accessories such as flower crowns, the bridesmaids dresses, and more!
Below you’ll find a list of 6 essential elements to create your perfect boho wedding.
1. Transform Traditional Settings
Bohemian weddings are usually held in informal settings. Imagine long overlapping branches with draping greenery with twinkly lights to set the scene to celebrate your perfect day. When planning a boho wedding, it’s important to create an intimate and natural setting, no matter what your wedding venue looks like raw. For inspiration on how to transform ANY venue, check out our “10 Gorgeous Natural Green Wedding Decorations“ post for gorgeous ways to create and enhance natural settings.
Photo: Mod Wedding
To turn a traditional setting into a boho setting try one or more of these suggestions:
- Layer bright and bold patterns on top of each other on tables.
- Use long wooden farm tables instead of traditional tables at your reception.
- Add an arch lined with ivy and twinkling lights at the end of your aisle.
- Add plants, flowers, and greenery WHENEVER possible.
- Fill vases with oranges or lemons for an organic and elegant boho look.
2. Nontraditional & Trendy Food
Boho brides and grooms are opting for unique, nontraditional food options too! “Serving anything from Asian noodles to burgers, live food stations are dotted around your reception venue with chefs handing out yummy dishes, these can be themed in line with your day, think cute disposable takeaway containers or small rice bowls,” Bohoweddings.com suggests.
Photo: The Latin Kitchen
Boho brides love food trucks! Add a food truck to your wedding reception, rehearsal dinner, engagement party – guests love them too! There’s a food truck out there for just about anything including:
- Ice Cream
- Grilled Cheese
…and many more! Check out this list of the 101 best food trucks in America for some inspiration!
Add large and colorful water infusions to hydrate your guests and add unique texture and decor to your space. Fill large glass containers with ice cold water and fresh fruit like oranges, lemons, strawberries, cucumbers – you may want to add colors that match your theme too!
Photo: Boho Weddings
3. Go Barefoot
Leave convention at the door… along with your shoes, and go barefoot on your wedding day! Get connected with the earth and invite your guests to do the same. “Don’t force the issue, but let guests know they are free to take off their shoes,” says Danielle Bobish, founder and creative director of Curtain Up Events, Inc, on brides.com.
Planning to go barefoot:
- Add a sign at the entrance for guests that something like “Feel free to leave your shoes here and frolic with us!”
- If you’re not comfortable being outside and barefoot, try sandals as they cover your feet and achieve your boho look.
4. Pick Wild Flowers
Boho weddings should have a bountiful amount of lush flowers, plants, and greenery. Take a nature walk with your partner or your wedding party and grab your favorite wild flowers – using them later as wedding decor as well to create your wedding bouquets.
Creative places to add wildflowers:
- Hanging decor from trees or in your event tent
- On tables and in centerpieces
- Wedding arch
- Brides bouquets
- Bridal crown
Also, visit your local farmers market for a selection of local wildflowers. Keep an eye out for:
- Clematis (a magenta wildflower)
- Sunflower (a yellow flower)
- Lilies (Comes in many colors)
- Dahlias (Also comes in many colors)
- Blue thistle globes (A blue flower)
- Snapdragons (Also comes in many colors)
Photo: Wedding Party
Photo: Offbeat Bride
5. Make Your Own Flower Crown
Every boho bride needs her flower crown (create your DIY flower crown). “Crown braids, fishtail braids, side braids — they all look amazing when paired with flower crowns,”says Christina Park on Brides.com.
Making a boho bride’s flower crown is simple and only requires a few steps:
- Start by grabbing a headband that fits you perfectly.
- Next, weave in or glue your wildflowers and greens around the headband. We especially love wildflowers such as clematis, sunflowers, lilies, dahlias, blue thistle globes, snapdragons.
6. Mix and Match Styles
Include deliberately mismatched styles for a more natural and rustic feel.“Mixing and matching your bridesmaids’ dresses is a great trend this season and also enhances your girls’ individuality,” says an ASOS blog featured on Boho Weddings Blog.
Pick a shade and let your bridesmaids select the best style for their body/style – Encourage your bridesmaids to find what they feel the most confident and beautiful in!
Photo: I Shine 365
When planing a boho style wedding it’s most important to express yourself, celebrate individuality and love, and embrace the moment!
These 6 essentials can help you achieve your dream look!
For even more boho bride inspiration, check out our “Boho Wedding Inspiration” Pinterest board.
Are you planning a boho inspired wedding?
Tell us your favorite part about your boho inspired wedding and leave a comment below!
Share your love story with us!
Have a proposal story you just CAN’T stop talking about? Share your love story with us! Leave a comment below or email email@example.com for a chance to be featured in our #gourmetlovestory editorial series.